I was going to take time to reflect on last year’s goals and realized they are in a box or maybe a filing cabinet…? Hmmmm… We are in the middle of packing for a move so life feels a little scattered. Though I do know one thing, one big goal was not met. The one thing I have struggled with for the last 8 years.
My weight control.
I really hesitate to write this. I would really rather stay in ignorant bliss (though I can’t say I am truly ignorant or that it is blissful) In fact, I have a list of 5 other things I would rather do right now other than post this. But it really is time to face my “demons”. As I look through this past year I had two months of get up and go and the rest of the year I had many excuses. Mind you, they were legitimate excuses at the time but still excuses. I can take the next several hours and list a string of excuses as to why I don’t have to energy or time to work out, but that would serve no purpose and the soul says “Sorry Chicky! Time for Slacker Mom to take a back seat!”
What holds me back. Time to be honest.
- Exercise! Ugh! Who wants to do that? Even after a steady month I couldn’t say I REALLY enjoyed it. I have to get ready for it, do it and then take a shower after sweating like a pig. Let’s face it. Walking is good but this body needs some remodeling that can’t be done with just a walk with my slow three year old once a day.
- My kids. Okay. Yes this is a terrible excuse most of the time because they will join me or I can exercise while the youngest takes a nap. I write it because it is a common excuse I use and have to acknowledge that.
- Finding other things to do. I am a stay-at-home Mom, we school from home, I have a three year old, I love crafts, I have laundry threatening to come alive, I am trying to consistently blog… the things to do are endless.
- Priorities. Yeah…Nuff said….
- The voices in my head telling me I would rather do something else and I listen.
- But that really tastes good…
- It’s hard work!
What do I need to do and why
- Trust. Trust God to help me. Trust in His love to me. He will love me no matter the size. But He wants the best for me and I am pretty sure that 40 lbs overweight is not that. I know some of you may be thinking “40 lbs? is that it?” But it seems like a MOUNTAIN to me. It really isn’t the number as much as the knowledge that if I do not stop my current lifestyle that 40 can become 80 and even more. I have a hard time trusting I can conquer this mountain.
- Stop the madness! It is SO easy to let it go and gain a couple pounds a month…every couple months… until that equals= 20 or more lbs + clothes that are very uncomfortable + sweats being the go to + a constant mental fight when you just sit to enjoy a craft or a tv show.
- Loose inches around the midsection. I was is a 12 in college, but I have had three kids since then and I just don’t think these hips that have popped out 3 babies, that averaged at 10 lbs. in weight, are going to go back to that size. I truly am great with that. I would love to be in a 14 someday again but I would be ecstatic about being in a 16. The actual pound number isn’t so much of an issue for me as the pant size.
- Lower my risk for diabetes. I have had gestational diabetes with each kid which really heightens my risk for getting diabetes later. I REALLY don’t want to have to deal with diabetes and the problems that come with it.
- Be a good example for my children. We all need to be fit and it starts with parents being a good example.
- Love myself. I am so tired of looking in the mirror and not liking what I see. I want to stop avoiding a camera. I used to not avoid those two things until the last 5 years or so. I have another confession… I took a self picture just now so I have a comparison picture for later. Can’t bring myself to post it and I am letting that be okay.
- Take it one day or even an hour at a time and DO IT! Make a time daily and stick to it. Fight the inner voice of procrastination, lethargy and excuses until you are up and MOVING and Sweating!
- Suck it up Buttercup. No pain… no gain. Put on your big girl panties…. and all those quotes that make me want to look and the speaker and say “Oh shut up”. Time isn’t going to stay on hold while I get my act together. Sounds harsh I know but sometimes I just need a good kick in the butt to say “Girl! What are you waiting for!”
- Get my Encouragers around me. There are a few people in my life that are huge encouragers in this area (I just have to say, Megan you are amazing!). I need to get them cheering me on and calling me out on my excuses.
The weight loss focused things I need to do:
- Exercise Daily. Different activities that make me stronger and get my heart rate up. One day a week with a slower exercise.
- Watch my portion sizes. Sometimes I eat too little and sometimes I eat too much.
- Stop eating after 7pm. I have mostly stopped that horrible habit due to heart burn issues, but still need to work on it.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables. Can I just say UGH! Not my favorite but much healthier than my carb love.
- Drink more water.
I want to emphasize that this is my journey. We all have our struggles and believe me this is not my only one. I share this here because I am making a statement to myself. “This is not a secret any more. Time to live by your own saying…”. I often say to myself and others” You have to live this moment, so you mine as well enjoy it.” It’s time to get up and moving so I can enjoy life more.
So I am setting myself a new goal. Loose 40 by 40. In August I turn 39. My goal is to lose 40 pounds by my 40th birthday and then celebrate by eating the biggest ice cream sundae on the planet!… just kidding. Yes I could do that. I am not going to go on a diet and deprive myself of things I enjoy. I still plan on eating foods I like but I am just going to watch my portions and get moving. Also, I am not calling it a New Year’s Resolution. I find those resolutions do not last long. The timing just happens to coincide with a new year. It is time for a life change. My goal is to lose the weight I want to and then maintain. That takes a lifetime commitment not just a year of change.
Since most people reading this are family or friends I would ask you to be one of my encouragers. Please leave me a comment or give me a call or both J
My first goal is to be active 30 minutes a day in January and three of those times each week be exercise that gets the heart pumping and makes me say “What the heck was I thinking! UGH!”. I can’t say I am totally ready for this and I am honestly scared that I will fail at it again but I can’t succeed if I don’t try.
Here we go… Love this picture and thought it would be a great thing to end with.